Checklist For Vacating Tenants
Pursuant to the Residential Tenancy Act, a tenant is required to clean the unit, repairing any damages, and to vacate the unit by 1 :00 PM on the day the tenancy ends unless otherwise provided in the tenancy agreement. The following is a checklist to help ensure that you maximize the returned portion of your security/pet deposit(s).
- Arrange a time/date to inspect the premises with your property manager at least two weeks in advance.
- Fridge - defrost, remove drawers etc, and clean inside. Pull out appliance, clean exterior, walls and floor. Replace drawers etc.
- Stove - clean inside with oven cleaner or self clean. Remove elements and drip pans, etc.
- Clean all parts. Pull out appliance, clean exterior, walls and floor. Replace elements etc. No greasy build-up should remain.
- Hood fan- remove grille and filter. Clean exterior and grill. Replace filter. No greasy build-up should remain.
- Cupboards/counters- must be wiped clean on all surfaces inside and out.
- Light fixtures/fans - must be cleaned and dusted. Replace burned out bulbs.
- Sinks/taps - must be cleaned.
- Bathtub/tile- must be clean and free of mold/mildew.
- Toilets- must be cleaned inside and out. No stains.
- Walls - all walls must be wiped down throughout the premises. Nail holes must be filled and damage repaired.
- Ceilings - must be free of cobwebs and dust. A soft bristled broom works well.
- Doors - must be wiped down on both sides
- Railings - must be cleaned.
- Windows/sills- inside and outside surfaces must be cleaned. No mold/mildew.
- Floors - sweep and clean tile/lino/hardwoodllaminate floors. Do not clean laminates with a wet mop.
- Carpets - must be vacuumed and professionally steam cleaned or chem cleaned.
- Blinds/drapes - must be cleaned.
- Air conditioner- clean filter, wipe the case down.
- Fireplaces - must be cleaned.
- Furnace - replace filter.
- Patios/decks - must be clean and tidy.
- Yard - must be mowed/trimmed and be properly groomed. No weeds in gardens and no debris left behind.
- Shed - all tools including mowers and trimmers must be cleaned and left with the property.
- Storage area- must be empty, clean and tidy.
- Parking area- must be empty, oil stains cleaned, and tidy.
- Keys - inventory and return suite door keys, lobby keys, mail keys, remotes controls, etc.
Repair all damage caused during your tenancy. This includes any modifications that you may have made to the property. Fill small nail holes in walls and buff with a damp sponge instead of sanding. All belongings, garbage and debris must be removed from property.
In a nutshell, return the suite in the condition that you would expect to find it when moving in. Use appropriate cleaning products for each job to ensure that cleaning is thorough and easy. The new tenant should not have to clean or remove any garbage. So long as you return the premises in good order, you should expect your full deposit and any interest returned soon after your move-out. Thank you for using this list.
Arrive on time for your move-out inspection and ensure that all work is COMPLETE BEFORE the property manager arrives. Failure to be ready could result in a $100.00 per day over-holding charge as per your tenancy agreement.
You must provide your forwarding address to receive your security deposit by mail. Please also provide a phone number in case we need to contact you.