Amos Realty just recieved this email regarding the National Park debate. Please read below for more information on the concerns and meetings coming up as of tomorrow Februrary 23, 2012.
Attached is more information on a press release sent from Okanagan Nations. Press Release - Okanagan Nations
Dear Business Owner, Manager, Associate:
Are you as confused as we are about the provincial government's withdrawal of support for a national park in the south Okanagan-Similkameen?
- Are they ignoring the 2007 petition in favour of a park, signed by 20,000 people?
- Did they disregard the 2010 unbiased and statistically valid McAllister poll showing that 63 per cent of local residents favoured such a national park, 26 per cent opposed it, and 11 per cent were undecided?
- Did they pay no attention on Feb. 6, 2012 when the Okanagan Nation Alliance and the four South Okanagan bands asked the B.C. Government to return to talks to consider the establishment of a national park in the South Okanagan-Similkameen region?
We are told that the government has withdrawn support because businesses haven't spoken out in favour. We have spoken to many business owners. Most say that they support the park personally but that they don't understand the issues and as business owners, they don't want to offend friends and neighbours and are afraid of losing customers.
But, it looks like the ball is now in our court.
Please make an effort to attend one of the meetings this week where you will be able to:
- learn up-to-the-minute facts about Park Canada's progress to date,
- discuss The Outspan Group's report on the economic impact of Parks Canada and the implications for your business,
- understand what the dissenting issues are and how they are being resolved,
- ask questions,
- form an opinion based on valid facts and truthful information,
- take responsible action.
Oliver 11 am Thursday Feb 23 Community Centre, Room 2
Penticton 2:30 pm Tues. Feb 21 Shatford Centre on Main St.
Osoyoos 2 pm Wed. Feb 22 Sonora Centre 8505 68th Ave
Whether you are for, against, undecided or indifferent to this project, please listen to all information and know at least, that you understand and have made an informed decision.
If you will think you may attend or can't attend but would like to receive further information, including the content of these meetings, please reply to this email.
Jim and Midge Wyse
Burrowing Owl Estate Winery